Sunday, March 16, 2014

Aww, Cornshucks!

Me?!? Nominated for the Liebster Award?!? You've got to be kidding! I just started blogging less than a month ago and my homemade blog needs a facelift! I can't wait until my fancy shmancy blog design is ready! Despite my blog's appearance, the sweet Jennifer Reynolds from Stories and Songs in Second nominated me for this award.  It totally made my day! I have to admit that I was not familiar with the rules and guidelines.

Step one: I have to answer the 11 questions that Jennifer had for me. So, here goes!

1.  Who was your favorite teacher?  How have they influenced your teaching today?
My third grade teacher was my favorite. She saw that I needed something more challenging and put me in my own reading group. I got to select topics to do reports and presentations on. Her influence has helped me differentiate and teach to multiple levels. 

2.   What is the best part of your teaching day?
When someone makes progress, even a tiny bit, it makes my heart smile!

3.  What is the worst part of your teaching day?
Car line duty! It is seriously stressful! It is my job to find the kid whose name was called on the walkie-talkie and send them to the right car. On the up side, I know about half of the kids in our school of 800 students.

4.  What are your hobbies, or how do you unwind after working all week?
Friday nights are protected at my house. No one goes anywhere. We don't do any chores. We grab some pizza or burgers. Then, we all crash out in the living room for a movie night. The whole family looks forward to Fridays! It recharges us for the rest of the weekend! We have preordered Frozen and will do our best to hold off on watching it until this coming Friday!





5.  How do you spend your summers?
I spend my summer in two ways. 1. Having fun with kids. We go to the pool a lot. They go to an art and science camp that the school system puts together. We do crazy science experiments, arts and crafts projects, and play games. 2. My teacher best friend teases me because I am such a nerd. I seriously LOVE redesigning my room, reevaluating curriculum, and planning things for next year over the summer. 

6.  What type of adult literature do you like to read when you have time?
Umm, I have a confession! I don't read much adult literature. I prefer juvenile literature. I adore Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, Anne of Green Gables, Fablehaven, Chasing Lincoln's Killer, etc. It saves me money though. My daughter and I can share books! :)



7.  What new instructional practice have you found success with?
I totally love using my SMARTboard in new and inventive ways! I am also a huge fan of using the close reading strategy and citing text evidence!

8.  Do you love and use technology in your classroom, or are you sometimes intimidated or frustrated by it?
I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I work in a rural district with little funding. So, our technology is, well, sad. I would love to do more, but I get frustrated when it won't work. 

9.  What is your favorite type of treat to eat?
Okay, please refer back to question #4. A must have on Friday Family Night is a mini-blizzard from Dairy Queen. Chocolate Extreme is my go to flavor!


10.  What is the most exotic place that you have traveled to?
When I lived at home with my parents, we traveled a lot. My two favorite trips were a dude ranch in Colorado and a Caribbean cruise. Now, that I am a busy teacher, wife, and mom. We don't travel. So, does a date night with the hubs to Red Robin and Target count as visiting exotic locations? It felt like a vacation to me! ;)

11.  Do you have pets?  If so, what kind?
Yes, we have two labs. Charlie, is our chocolate lab. He is a BIG baby! He weighs about 75 pounds and thinks he should fit in your lap.  Chloe, is our black lab. She never barks, but she is the one who tries to bite veterinarians and roofers. She loves eating gutters, trees, and playgrounds. Shiloh is our kitten. She is my lap kitty! She will play fetch if you ball up the foil wrapper from a Chic-fil-a chicken biscuit.  

Step two: Share 11 random facts about yourself. Be prepared for weirdness here, folks! I am letting it all hang out here. 
1. I went to a performing arts school in high school. We studied dance, drama, and voice. I don't perform anywhere now except the shower, but I still LOVE Broadway shows!
2. I have had 5 cats in my lifetime--all of them have been gray.
3. I haven't had cable TV for 10 years! I get my news from the internet. We own lots of DVDS and use Amazon Prime for instant movies and TV shows.
4. I don't wear jewelry. If it isn't high grade stuff, it turns green on me in a day.  
5. I am about to turn 40 and I don't care. It doesn't bother me one bit!
6. Someday I hope to own a cabin in the mountains where the hubs and I can spend some of our retirement days. 
7. I am a little OCD. If you visit, don't put your glass down or it will be in the dishwasher before you can say, "Hey, where'd my glass go?".
8. I secretly find Patrick Star from SpongeBob Squarepants quite funny!
9. I love new office and school supplies! Mr. Sketch scented markers are my fave!
10. If I had a job outside of the classroom, I would want to be a librarian.
11. I am an early bird. I would rather get up at 4:30 in the morning than stay up until midnight.

Step three: Present the Liebster Award to 5 new blogs with less than 200 followers. 

I hope you will check out these blogs! They have some neat stuff to offer! I also happen to know from TPT experience that they are kind and helpful ladies!






Step Four: Write 11 questions for these sweet folks to answer on their blog post.

1. Which of your blog posts is your favorite?
2.  What is the best thing you have ever invested in for your classroom?
3. What do you have to have to make it through the day?
4. If you could live anywhere, what location would you choose?
5. What is your favorite memory from your own school days?
6. Do you plan out blog posts in advance or are they more spontaneous?
7. What is your favorite restaurant?
8. If you had to leave teaching/education, what would you do instead?
9. Which do you prefer: Pinterest or Facebook?
10. What are you most looking forward to doing over the summer?
11. What is the best thing you have ever bought from Teachers Pay Teachers?

I look forward to reading your responses!

6 comments:

  1. Jenn- thanks for the nomination. I really had fun with it. Your blog looks great and I enjoyed reading about you.
    Kim- http://curriculumandcrayons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I enjoyed reading your post, too. We have a lot in common! Good luck with your blog! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for my nomination! It is really humbling since I've only been in the blog world for a week. Here is a link to the 3 part serious. I had a lot to say, I guess.
    http://agracefilledclassroom.blogspot.com/2014/03/wowan-award-already.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so welcome! I love how you divided it up into several posts. You are quite hilarious! I am glad that you had some fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so happy to nominate you! I love the denim and red/blue color scheme on your blog! Also, I love that you were a performer at one time! I hope you sing and dance with your students! I love all things Broadway-related, and often break into show tunes (or parodies of them) at appropriate times--like "Spring is busting out all over!"

    Did you watch Frozen yet? Is your family singing the soundtrack? My 22-year-old daughter and I saw it at the theater and loved it! She will graduate with her BFA in Musical Theatre in May, and desperately hopes that 1) Disney will bring Frozen to the Broadway stage and 2) She will have the opportunity to audition for the role of Elsa!

    Keep teaching your children well, and going to Dairy Queen! There is one two blocks from my school! And yes, I go there after tough school days for consolation and comfort!

    ~Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too sweet!! I do sing with the kids. They think it's crazy the way I can turn anything into a song. :) I will have "Spring is Busting Out All Over" running through my head all day.

      We did watch Frozen! We loved it just as much the 2nd time! I am the only one singing. As my granny used to say, "The rest of them couldn't carry a tune in a bucket!" Best wishes for much success to your daughter! I will keep my fingers crossed that Disney will bring Frozen to the stage. I LOVE a good Disney musical. I have seen Beauty and the Beast at the Fox in Atlanta twice.

      I hear ya on the need for D.Q.! When I turn out of the school parking lot, there is a DQ within sight!

      Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

      Delete