Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday Made It: Class Decor & Number Line Freebie

Back to School time puts me in a crafty mood! I have tried to start nibbling away at my to do list. Here are three little projects that somehow got done this week. I hope you find some inspiration!

My son is growing up! He decided this summer that he no longer wanted a lot of his action figures and Hot Wheels. After we passed the toys on to some younger boys, we were left with an empty rack of colorful bins. I wanted to find a use for this in my classroom, but the bins didn't match my black/red/white decor. 
So, I asked the hubs to pick up some black spray paint for plastics on his way home. I used the Valspar brand. It worked well, but let me warn you. Make sure that you are wearing long sleeves and disposable gloves. If you get this stuff on you, it is seriously hard to scrub it off! Here is how they looked in progress. 

I am really pleased with the final product! I used the bins to organize my school supplies. This area will mostly be for my parapro and myself. We will have easy access to materials for small groups and can see when we need to restock items. I can take zero credit for the awesome labels though. Those are the handiwork of Amy Groesbeck. You can check them out in her TPT store {HERE}

In fact, I liked these so much that I bought Amy Groesbeck's math bin label set, too. You can check those out {HERE}. I laminated them and added them to some Sterilite shoebox size containers using double sided tape. 





My hallway window had a ribbon curtain for the last two years. I liked it, but it didn't fill enough of the space. I can sew things like buttons or rips, but I don't use a sewing machine. I needed an inexpensive, easy fix. I used the same tutorial I used before to make my ribbon curtains. You can get all the step by step directions with clear pictures {HERE}. I made a change or two. I used 2 yards of black, red, and white tulle. I cut the strips 3 inches wide instead of 1 1/2 inches wide. Then, I just tied them around the tension rod in a repeating pattern. It looks even better in person than in the pictures. 
View from hallway
View from inside the classroom



The number line that I have been using in my classroom has seen better days! It may have been a hand me down from another teacher. I looked online but I couldn't find one that was the size or color I wanted. I also wanted to add in some skip counting features. So, I whipped up one of my own. 


  • I like it because it is fairly small and should fit all on one wall. 
  • I alternated black/red for even/odd or counting by twos.
  • Students can count by fives by saying the numbers with red stars above them.
  • Students can count by tens by saying the numbers with red stars in a black box above them.
  • This number line is for 0-120. You can grab your freebie {HERE}
Well, I must say that my first Monday Made It with 4th Grade Frolics has been a lot of fun. Have fun exploring all of the other awesome ideas on her blog {HERE}

12 comments:

  1. Everything looks so neat and organized! And I love your curtain! Great idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am a bit of a neat freak! ;)

      Delete
  2. It was my First Monday Made It as well. It's good to know you're not alone. Love your blog design.
    Thanks for the tip about spray painting your plastics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your first Monday Made It! I am glad I am not the only newbie! Kassi from Designs by Kassi is an incredible blog designer.

      Delete
  3. Oh how I wish I had a supply station like that!! It looks perfect. That curtain is a great idea as well!
    Kelli
    Tales of a Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am glad you find a few new ideas! :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the way those bins look after the makeover! Beautiful! =)

    Ginger Snaps

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bright bin makeover! Very fun!
    Erin
    Short and Sassy Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was very pleased with how they turned out. It was worth all of the work! :)

      Delete
  6. I have those bins and I love the idea of painting them! How many cans did it take to paint them all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it took about four cans to paint them all. Glad you found an idea you can use!

      Delete