Thursday, October 9, 2014

Short A (Freebie, too)

Am I the only one with RtI kids who know their consonants, blends, and digraphs, but are completely bumfuzzled by vowel sounds? Please tell me I'm not alone. :)  Whew! These babies need some serious intensive work on their vowel sounds. So, we are working our way through the vowels in my room. I normally would have just bought something on TPT, but most everything I found was just for CVC words. Now, I do have some babies who need that, too, but many of my tier 2 sweeties can handle more than that. So, I am introducing my vowel series today starting with short a!

This set includes several centers and games and a decodable reader with comprehension questions. Again, many of the words are beyond CVC --like branch, trash, and graph. You can check it out in my store by clicking {HERE} or on the pic above. 

I am so excited about this activity that I just had to share it with you. It's called Roll a Rime. The kids roll one die to find out which rime to add to the onset. Then, they decide if they have made a real word or a nonsense word. They color their answer by a code. Easy breezy mac and cheesy for you and fun for them! You can snag your freebie {HERE} or on the pic below.
Thanks for your time and interest! Y'all mean so much to me!

4 comments:

  1. These are great! Do you have plans for doing long vowel (CVCe or other patterns) packs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I absolutely plan to add other phonics packs. My students will need interventions like this all year long. I am planning to finish the short vowel packs in a few days. Then, it will be onto CVCe and vowel teams. :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome! Can't wait for the other bundles, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I just posted the short vowel bundle. I will work on the cvce set next. :)

      Delete