Thursday, July 16, 2015

Addition Fact Fluency Freebie

How do you keep track of your students' fact fluency? In my 2nd grade intervention classroom, progress monitoring fluency for my math students is a major goal. So, I decided to make it fun.. like a journey..or a quest! For our addition facts, we journey through Oz as we learn each set of facts.  

During preplanning I hang up a jumbo pocket chart to hold the character cards and student name pieces. The students' names are written on pieces of the yellow brick road. When they have achieved their goal, it gives the effect of a horizontal bar graph of names. You can see a glimpse of the set up (without the names) in this photo from last year's room reveal. 
Beginning the first week of school, I reveal the first character goal and post the character card and goal on the pocket chart. I tell the kiddos that if they meet the goal that they will earn the character and a matching treat. The character cards look like this:
All week long (and longer if needed to achieve their goal), we practice our math facts. I like to use the free addition fact sheets found {HERE} at www.math-drills.com. Scroll down to number 9 and select single digit addition questions with focus digits. Then, print off an entire sheet of individual fact practice. Copy the sheet for your students, and then cut them into 4 days worth of practice strips. Easy Peasy Mac-n-Cheesy!

I set different goals for students. Often my tier 3 students are just working on getting correct sums while my tier 2 students may be more focused on correct sums in a given amount of time. If their goal is achieved, they receive the treat for their character and a little certificate in a Ziploc baggie. They take them home to share their accomplishment with their families. It is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to celebrate their work and communicate their progress to their parents. 

Here is a quick glimpse at the suggested treat list and little certificates that they can earn. 

You can grab the whole program as a freebie {HERE} in this Dropbox link! If you like this set, stay tuned, or follow my blog. I hope to post my Peter Pan themed subtraction set next. :)

2 comments:

  1. I saw your subtraction fact fluency freebie on IG, came to your site to look at it, and saw this also. I can't wait to try it out in my classroom! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I hope that these are helpful to you in the coming school year!

      Delete